Why is intelligence negatively associated with religiousness?
Add Reply
a***@gmail.com
2017-05-17 19:29:09 UTC
I read a summary of a research paper which asked this question. According to Edward Dutton and other researchers, the negative relation can be explained by assuming that religion is an instinct, and intelligence the ability to rise above one's instincts.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor
s***@yahoo.com
2017-05-18 00:46:25 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
I read a summary of a research paper which asked this question. According to Edward Dutton and other researchers, the negative relation can be explained by assuming that religion is an instinct, and intelligence the ability to rise above one's instincts.
Again, the same pattern. You never reply and debate but escape from one thread and open another. Hit and run.

Some researcher did something. How did he define religion?
Which religion? He concluded there is a negative correlation. Now there is a negative correlation between the standing position and death. Most people die in bed. So what do you conclude? Standing protects against death? If people with a shirt are more intelligent than those without shirt,
should we all wear shirts to be more intelligent? Let us say people who use western toilets and more intelligent that those who use floor toilets or those who use fields to evacuate, what does that mean?

You got to think more than blindly believe these researchers

Now you define what constitutes a religion for you. Have you studied religions especially dharmic religions? What is the difference between them and abrahamic ones. Does your researcher know the difference

Religion is etched in the consciousness of most people for ever. Those who do not accept this may be because they did not 1) study 2) not convinced about its theory or practice 3) may do so to rebel like even prisoners become muslims to rebel. There may be any number of reasons

It is wrong to conclude they do so because of their scholarly insight and superiority

For example, you dont ever show any scholarship and debate
You confess you never studied much of any religion
Why do you keep posting these things and never debate to its conclusion and reopen another thread

Looks like an advertisement like selling toothpaste

Do you want to debate ever?
Or just post, insult and run?
a***@gmail.com
2017-05-18 15:54:43 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
I read a summary of a research paper which asked this question. According to Edward Dutton and other researchers, the negative relation can be explained by assuming that religion is an instinct, and intelligence the ability to rise above one's instincts.
Again, the same pattern. You never reply and debate but escape from one thread and open another. Hit and run.
Discussions don't last forever, they have to end sometime. You are the one who initially wanted an early end to our previous discussion. I felt that I had said what I wanted to say, and was getting bored.

This new discussion is on a separate issue, which is based on the summary of a research paper I just read. You are welcome to participate in this discussion or not.
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Some researcher did something. How did he define religion?
Which religion? He concluded there is a negative correlation. Now there is a negative correlation between the standing position and death. Most people die in bed. So what do you conclude? Standing protects against death? If people with a shirt are more intelligent than those without shirt,
should we all wear shirts to be more intelligent? Let us say people who use western toilets and more intelligent that those who use floor toilets or those who use fields to evacuate, what does that mean?
You got to think more than blindly believe these researchers
I would rather believe a researcher than you. It is generally accepted that religiousness has a negative association with intelligence. But that is not what the research paper is about. It proposes the reason for this. That religion is an instinct, and that intelligence is the ability to rise above intelligence. You have failed to comment on this.

I agree that most of this research has been done in the west. Thus research on Hinduism may give different results. But I only read the summary, and don't know the details of this particular research paper.
Post by s***@yahoo.com
[...]
You don't seem that interested in debating the topic, but in discussing me and complaining about me. As such, don't be surprised, if I exit this discussion early, because I am getting bored or not learning anything.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor
s***@yahoo.com
2017-05-19 00:45:30 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Discussions don't last forever, they have to end sometime. You are the one who initially wanted an early end to our previous discussion. I felt that I had said what I wanted to say, and was getting bored.
You end discussions when you want? I never wanted to end. Show me when. You are imagining. Getting bored? Because you had no answer? You did not reply to Fanabbaji when he asked whether space was infinite and just kept quiet? Because you were bored?
Post by a***@gmail.com
I would rather believe a researcher than you.
You believe and disbelieve like a mullah? I am asking for reason and evidence. Not belief. Belief is nonsense when discussing.
Post by a***@gmail.com
It is generally accepted that religiousness has a negative association with intelligence. But that is not what the research paper is about. It proposes the reason for this. That religion is an instinct, and that intelligence is the ability to rise above intelligence. You have failed to comment on this.
Nonsense. The observation is itself wrong. Trying to "explain" a questionable observation is even more pathetic
Post by a***@gmail.com
I agree that most of this research has been done in the west. Thus research on Hinduism may give different results. But I only read the summary, and don't know the details of this particular research paper.
You have not studied this in detail and post here pretending you admire this?
Post by a***@gmail.com
You don't seem that interested in debating the topic, but in discussing me and complaining about me. As such, don't be surprised, if I exit this discussion early, because I am getting bored or not learning anything.
Your approach to what you post is shallow, lacks any study and scholarship. You are asking people to accept because you said so and insult if people dont. Your character cannot be dissociated from what you pretend to discuss as you never ever complete a discussion, run and post another one!
You seem to be a sales person advertising your shallow unstudied views. I have never seen any one here who does this so consistently as you
a***@gmail.com
2017-05-19 11:21:33 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
Discussions don't last forever, they have to end sometime. You are the one who initially wanted an early end to our previous discussion. I felt that I had said what I wanted to say, and was getting bored.
You end discussions when you want? I never wanted to end. Show me when. You are imagining. Getting bored? Because you had no answer? You did not reply to Fanabbaji when he asked whether space was infinite and just kept quiet? Because you were bored?
You wanted to end the discussion, unless I apologised. I was no longer learning anything new, was getting bored, and felt I had made my point, so I ended the discussion. As for the question on if space is infinite, I felt that I had already answered the question, when I had already written that nothing is infinite, and commented on the size and age of the universe.
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
I would rather believe a researcher than you.
You believe and disbelieve like a mullah? I am asking for reason and evidence. Not belief. Belief is nonsense when discussing.
Very little can be 100% proven. The only thing you can be really sure about, is your own existence. For society to function, and humanity to progress, we need to sometimes believe in each other. Scientists cannot conduct every single experiment themselves, they have to trust the results of other scientists.
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
It is generally accepted that religiousness has a negative association with intelligence. But that is not what the research paper is about. It proposes the reason for this. That religion is an instinct, and that intelligence is the ability to rise above intelligence. You have failed to comment on this.
Nonsense. The observation is itself wrong. Trying to "explain" a questionable observation is even more pathetic
Again, you fail to comment on the thesis, that religion is an instinct, and that intelligence is the ability to rise above instinct. I have read in many different places about this same observation, that intelligence and religiousness are negatively associated. It is the consensus. But probably most of this research has been conducted in the West. Do you have any results from research conducted in India?
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
I agree that most of this research has been done in the west. Thus research on Hinduism may give different results. But I only read the summary, and don't know the details of this particular research paper.
You have not studied this in detail and post here pretending you admire this?
I am just informing people about this research. It seemed interesting to me, so I thought it would be interesting to others. I don't have the time to study everything in detail. Those more interested in this subject can research it further.
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
You don't seem that interested in debating the topic, but in discussing me and complaining about me. As such, don't be surprised, if I exit this discussion early, because I am getting bored or not learning anything.
Your approach to what you post is shallow, lacks any study and scholarship. You are asking people to accept because you said so and insult if people dont. Your character cannot be dissociated from what you pretend to discuss as you never ever complete a discussion, run and post another one!
You seem to be a sales person advertising your shallow unstudied views. I have never seen any one here who does this so consistently as you
I give up. I have been trying to teach you that while it is alright to discuss negative facts about groups, it is wrong to make personal insults. I try to avoid personal insults. You are the one who makes personal insults, when confronted with facts you don't like. You seem unwilling to learn anything from me. Will you never admit you are wrong?

You want to make this discussion personal. OK. Just for now. I have read the Mahabharata and Ramayana several times, long ago. I spent one year studying the bible. After all of this reading, I chose to follow no religion.

What about you, have you founded any religions? True expertise in religion is with those who have founded religions.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor
s***@yahoo.com
2017-05-19 11:39:39 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
You wanted to end the discussion, unless I apologised.
I accepted your so called apology
Post by a***@gmail.com
when I had already written that nothing is infinite, and commented on the size and age of the universe.
Space is finite? Arindam already said infinite is an entity, You did not reply
Post by a***@gmail.com
Very little can be 100% proven.
What do you mean by proof then?
Post by a***@gmail.com
The only thing you can be really sure about, is your own existence.
Good start. What do you mean by "your own existence"? Body?
Post by a***@gmail.com
For society to function, and humanity to progress, we need to sometimes believe in each other. Scientists cannot conduct every single experiment themselves, they have to trust the results of other scientists.
Yogis and rishis and mahants also conducted their own experiments and for thousands of years and collected their information in many many Hindu scriptures. Try Pathanjali Yoga sutra. Try Bhagavatham and see what it says
You think Arjuna did not challenge Krishna?
Post by a***@gmail.com
Again, you fail to comment on the thesis, that religion is an instinct, and that intelligence is the ability to rise above instinct.
Intelligence is the faculty to apply solutions to problems never encountered before- one easy definition. Religion is *not an instinct*
Instinct is an inbuilt behavior that cannot be overcome by applying intelligence.
Where did you get this definition?!
Post by a***@gmail.com
I am just informing people about this research.
Have you studied research on reincarnation (Ian Stevenson etc) and prayer helping patients heal?
Post by a***@gmail.com
I give up. I have been trying to teach you that while it is alright to discuss negative facts about groups, it is wrong to make personal insults.
You are the one insulting. You start saying religious people are unintelligent etc. You post the same nonsense
You cant expect us to keep quiet and claim you are a scholar
Post by a***@gmail.com
You want to make this discussion personal. OK. Just for now. I have read the Mahabharata and Ramayana several times, long ago. I spent one year studying the bible. After all of this reading, I chose to follow no religion.
Very shallow. Study more *under a teacher*
Post by a***@gmail.com
What about you, have you founded any religions? True expertise in religion is with those who have founded religions.
True expertise in physics is only when you invent physics?
You have no logic, scholarship or even humility